Google+ A Bit About Britain: The end of the beginning Google+

Introduction

Get to know A Bit About Britain - an idiosyncratic view of places to visit in Britain, British history - and stuff. Warts and all. Where shall we go today?

Tuesday, 17 May 2016

The end of the beginning

This post is primarily addressed to the regular reader of A Bit About Britain.  You know who you are.  The bad news (everything is relative) is that this will probably be the last post here.  The good news is that A Bit About Britain has a new website, www.bitaboutbritain.com (imaginative, isn’t it?), where you will be able to read future posts.

A Bit About Britain

If you would like to follow A Bit About Britain’s posts in the future – and I really hope you will - you need this link to A Bit About Britain’s Blog Page. http://bitaboutbritain.com/blog-2/ and you need to put this address into whatever method you have used previously to follow the site.  Do not use the main website address to follow blog posts.

Secondly, I want to apologise to all the fellow-bloggers that haven’t heard from me for awhile.  I have had to concentrate on building the new site, but I hope that something resembling normal service – whatever that is - will be resumed shortly.

A Bit About Britain

If you visit the new A Bit About Britain, you will see that it already has some content on it – though in fact it only went publicly live on 13th May.  I have to say that the experience of building the site has been – and still is - much harder than getting to grips with ‘Blogger’!  It has always been the intention that A Bit About Britain would be informative, as well as a bit of fun.  So, the new site offers a bit more about Britain, including timelines, lists of kings and queens – and a developing, but very simple, directory of attractions.  No shortage of ideas.

I hope Terribly Serious People won’t be upset by me quoting the great Winston Churchill out of context:


“Now this is not the end.  It is not even the beginning of the end.  But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.”

A Bit About Britain

27 comments:

  1. I shall go on over and get that one added to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a look at your new website, Mike. Nice! It must have been some work to get it up and running. I've looked at other platforms, too, but I always chicken out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't mind me asking Mike, why did you change? Was your work getting lifted to elsewhere or did you just fancy a better platform for your posts? I,m curious as I have read about blogger being open to exploitation in the past and my own page hits per day can range from 1000 plus to a more normal 300. As I find your blog informative and interesting I'll update to your new site. Best of luck with it after all the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It won't be the same and I'm with Mac Wheeler with disliking change. :) Hate to see you go but understand why the exodus from Blogger. They mess up quite a bit. Hope the new site works well for you. May the LORD bless and keep you. ~:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What made you make the switch, I wonder?
    I will go and see if I can get the new URL to appear in my reading list; so far, it's always only been blogs on the same platform that I have been following.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I was worried when I saw the start of this post. Off now to find you in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the new website. I will be over in a flash!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's sad yo are moveing on from Blogger but your blogs have a greater following than mine. Congrats on building your new website I wish you all the success and I will add it to my list

    ReplyDelete
  9. This may sound dumb, but I'm glad for your new blog/site. This one is lovely, but for some reason the black (which is attractive!) bothers my eyes, so I don't read the whole thing as I would like to. Your new one isn't black! Hurrah, as you English say! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK I'll move over to your new site Mike - but will always keep the old blog because it's such a wonderful historic library of sorts.

    I'm in Ireland for 3 weeks - just had 5 days of nonstop sunshine in Dublin, with a train trip up to interesting Belfast one day and down to lovely Wexford another. Today rode the train to Galway where we had showers of course! Off to the Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Aran Islands etc. tomorrow - and hopefully the weather will be kind!

    More later - best wishes, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okeydoke, Mike - I'll add your new address to my reader list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Mike - I have put you into Bloglovn' - your new site is showing up well. You have been working very hard on it - it looks packed with information and very comprehensive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adding your new link so I can follow interesting posts into the future :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh thanks for the heads up. I will try to link up to the new site. All the best with it!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just added the new link and it works. Thanks! The site looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your new site looks terrific! Looking around it, I'd sy you've put a LOT of work into it. I look forward to exploring in more derail.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your new site.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the new site, it's very attractive. Out of interest, have you moved across all your posts? I did that manually when I recently moved over from Blogger to Wordpress and it took a while...

    Also, are you planning to add an email subscription form to your new site? I had to do that myself so everyone had to re-subscribe on the new site.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mike - congratulations ... and I will definitely move myself over. I've enjoyed your posts and information you give us ... Good luck with the ongoing move ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will make the changes necessary to keep reading your postings.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Will follow you to your new website. Have a good evening Mike!

    Madelief

    ReplyDelete
  22. Exciting times ...
    Well done

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'll be following. Good thing, moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The new website looks great, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Perfect. You new blog will be my go to place to plan my next trip :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi - thanks for dropping into A Bit About Britain. New material is now being posted to www.bitaboutbritain.com and most of the material here will gradually be updated and moved over to that new site. Please drop in there, click on the blog page, and take a look round. TTFN - Mike.