Google+ A Bit About Britain: Grow your blog Google+

Introduction

Get to know A Bit About Britain - an idiosyncratic view of places to visit in Britain, British history - and stuff. Warts and all. Where shall we go today?

Wednesday, 4 February 2015

Grow your blog

There’s a great blog with the wonderfully optimistic name of “2 Bags Full”.  It’s run by a lovely lady called Vicki, who hosts an annual Grow Your Blog Party.  It is rumoured that over 400 bloggers attend this event.  So it’s a massive networking opportunity in the ether and, obviously, I’d really like to be there.  I’ve prepared a bit of an introduction for anyone that I meet…


Regular visitors to A Bit About Britain don’t need to read this; anyway, you’re making me nervous.

Hi, I’m Mike.
With a tagline of “Where shall we go today?” A Bit About Britain is a blog that aims to inspire residents and visitors alike with stories about and places of interest in England, Scotland and Wales.  There’s a strong leaning toward history and heritage attractions, but countryside and items of a quirky nature are included too.  Occasionally, A Bit About Britain will have a rant about something; the style is decidedly idiosyncratic and often tongue in cheek.  Don't take it too seriously.

There’s more on the pages above – particularly ‘About’ and ‘FAQ’.  But have an explore by clicking on the labels in the sidebar, below, and see what you think.  You will find a bit about (hover your mouse over the pictures for an explanation):

Brooding, romantic, castles…


Caerlaverock, Dumfies, Galloway, Natterjack, Visit Scotland

Or just a bit of romance…

Brief Encounter, Carnforth, Trevor Howard, Celia Johnson

Magnificent cathedrals…

Ely, cathedral, Ship of the Fens, Cambridgeshire

Abandoned abbeys…

Fountains, Abbey, North Yorkshire

Historic houses…

Uppark, houses to visit, Sussex

Peaceful parish churches…


Ashby St Ledgers, church, St Leodegarius, Gunpowder Plot

Countryside…

Ponies, Pembrokeshire, Wales

Literary roots…

Lorna Doone, RD Blackmore, Exmoor.

Bloody battles…

Heavenfield, battlefield, Northumbria

The expected…

Life Guards, Lord Mayor's Show, London

The unexpected…

Postumus, Verulamium, St Albans

If you like what you see, please become a follower on Google Friend Connect – it’s free (and, really, what can you get for free, these days?).  You will also find A Bit About Britain on Google+ and Facebook (though I don’t pretend to understand either of them).

And, don’t forget to check out Vicki’s blog post about Grow Your Blog, if you haven’t already done so.  Here you will find links to I don’t know how many talented people all over the world, who manage to make beautiful things and take astonishing photographs.


TTFN.

48 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip. I will pop across to Vicki's blog and check it out. Hope there are more blogs similar to yours as I am a new follower of yours and am enjoying what I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well - thank you very much indeed - and welcome!

      Delete
  2. So can I gatecrash as well. Very nice write up

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may gatecrash too if the party is still going! I think you've described your blog pretty well (not sure how I'd describe mine ...). I'll pop over and visit Vicki's blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To go to such a party would mean I would have to rise from obscurity and become an official member of blogdom. Hmm. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! Though I believe the deadline has passed for this year.

      Delete
  5. What a good intro to your blog! I'm going to have to explore more of your past posts. It's already one of my favourites, mainly for your great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very nice introduction Mike. I always enjoy my visits here and have learned a lot of British history through your writings and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feedly announces to me any new posts on the blogs that I follow and yours is one of them. I love Great Britain so it's not a surprise that I enjoy your informative posts about where you've been and what you see. Now I'm going to click over to the hosting blog for this event. One thing I can't do is comment with an automatic link back to my own blog which is Wordpress. Google has me locked into my cooking blog on blogger which is collaborative with 9 other gals. When the option to comment with a URL appears I can put in my home page at http://happywonderer.com/ Have a great day and keep traveling and taking photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really glad you're following - but there's much about this blogging business i just don't understand!

      Delete
  8. you do share some awesome sights and sites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You present yourself well with these shots. I'll have a look at her page.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A year or two ago, I participated at someone else's "Grow Your Blog" party. It was fun, and I did indeed gain one or two new readers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwwwwwww you had me at Natterjack toad! He reminds me of the toads I'd bring home as a young girl. Until my mother would scream ooooooooooooout! You know of course your trips, and abandoned buildings and stories and humor and photos and castles well actually everything always keeps me reading and following you! I will check out her blog too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Love your posts too, which are often quirky. Check out my post on Caerlaverock - it might amuse you.

      Delete
  12. I hope this blog party draws many more visitors to your superb blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen. Given the quality of 'Chubby Chatterbox' that's quite a compliment!

      Delete
  13. I think this is terrific, Mike. I found it helpful - it's always a good idea to know what a blog is about - I mean officially about. It seems to give a kind of framework to the posts, which I'm not always aware of but keeps me interested. What you didn't explain though is how you get your material. You seem to go from one of the country to the other, and I somehow imagine you constantly on the train or on the road

    But thinking about it, I suppose what you must do is gather a lot of material for posts everywhere you explore, and then choose from this large collection of material whatever theme you have decided to explore today. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny. Of course, I am unable to divulge the mystery of how A Bit About Britain is compiled...must go, taxi's waiting - he's blowing his horn...

      Delete
  14. What a great blog! I love Great Britain and look forward to exploring it further!! I am a new follower :0) Debbie SunflowerHouseArt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an excellent idea for a blog...wish I had have found you last year, as DH and I had a 5 week driving holiday in the UK. We packed a lot into our holiday though and managed to meet up with friends, including a fellow blogger who lives in Hebden Bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria. Well - maybe we can help when you come back..?

      Delete
  16. Your nervousness is making me quite uncomfortable. ;-) Bit About Britain is a fantastic blog. I admire people who actually manage to have a purpose and focus for their blog. The photos are stunning and pique my longing for drystone walls, Yorkshire sheep, castles, abbeys, and cathedrals. I wonder why I can't just move to England for a year at British taxpayer expense. Is this asking too much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the British taxpayer would get far better value for money from your suggestion than we do from some of the spending this, and previous, governments make on our behalf!

      Delete
  17. I love reading your blog which was recommanded to me by Judy of Cranberry Morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magali - really appreciate that. And Judy has been an amazing blog friend to me; that's just between ourselves, of course...

      Delete
  18. I've always wanted to go to Great Britain and your blog will keep me informed until I can get there. Great to find you on GYB. I'm a new follower.
    Angie in SoCal

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've always wanted to go to Great Britain and your blog will keep me informed until I can get there. Great to find you on GYB. I'm a new follower.
    Angie in SoCal

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Mike,

    I've enjoyed reading your tips. Love the tumbledown places and love the literary roots. My husband and I have traveled to many, many homes of authors in Britain.

    I tried to sign up as a follower, but couldn't do it without my google password. I can't remember what it is! I'll try later too.

    All best and thanks for your good wishes on my blog posting and publishing.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. When you figure out how to do it, let me know - much of the techincal aspects go way over my head! Hope you come back anyway...

      Delete
  22. A lovely intro to your blog which I enjoy reading and hopefully you will gain some new readers that do too. The blog party sounds fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. A great intro to your very interesting blog. Thanks for the tip and link.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello there Mike. Love your enthusiasm about my other home. I live in OXON for half of the year, but my father was British, so love all other bits of the UK. I'll go read soem more of your posts and figure out how the best way for me to follow. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica. Thank you very much. Oxford's a lovely part of the country - so much history! Let me know how you get on with the follow - I get very confused...

      Delete
  25. well dang. not sure my comments are going thru. Vicki is wonderful; does so much or so many and has blessed my life greatly. started following your blog last year, via GYBP and enjoy your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello, Mike - I'm dreaming of visiting Britain this year, so I'm going to add you to my Feedly reader list and keep up with your posts there! And here's my blog with a little GYB Party giveaway, if you are interested:
    http://comptonia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi - thanks for dropping into A Bit About Britain. New material is now being posted to www.bitaboutbritain.com and most of the material here will gradually be updated and moved over to that new site. Please drop in there, click on the blog page, and take a look round. TTFN - Mike.