Google+ A Bit About Britain: Two Chairmen Google+

Introduction

Get to know A Bit About Britain - an idiosyncratic view of places to visit in Britain, British history - and stuff. Warts and all. Where shall we go today?

Saturday, 29 November 2014

Two Chairmen

Pubs, Westminster, Two Chairmen, SW1, Taylor-Walker

Why on earth would anyone suggest that I might like to visit a pub?  I mean, why would someone I’ve never met suggest I might like to visit a pub?  But that’s exactly what my ether-friend, Adrian, over on Google Plus did.  Up he popped with a fine picture of what looked like a neat little boozer, the Two Chairmen in London.  “Oh”, I commented, “That looks like a neat little boozer.”  And Adrian came back with, “Maybe there’s a blog article there for you sometime in the future.”  He went on to explain that this was one of the oldest pubs in Westminster, with an interesting history, situated opposite the notorious Cockpit Steps, just off Birdcage Walk - named for James I’s aviaries.  Mind you, Adrian works in advertising so maybe he has an angle somewhere.

Anyway, I made a note of it because Adrian seems like a nice bloke and, in truth, I have been known to visit pubs – just for research purposes, you understand (pubs are nasty things, full of beer and temptation) – and I do find myself in London occasionally.

The Two Chairman is a short walk to the west of Parliament Square, in Dartmouth Street, which bisects Queen Anne’s Gate and Old Queen Street.  It is indeed opposite Cockpit Steps, the alleged haunted site of the Royal Cockpit – an 18th century venue for cockfighting.  A little off the beaten track, it’s a relatively peaceful, but handy, location to have a watering-hole: close to all of the capital’s Westminster attractions (and essentials such as New Scotland Yard and the Chilean Embassy) as well as being in a Disney-like area of London full of smart Regency town-houses – all big shiny doors, gloss-black wrought-iron, polished brass and door entry systems.

Sedan chairmen, Cockpit Steps, Westminster, London pubs

The pub gets its name from the chairmen who worked sedan chairs – single-seat carriages carried on poles by two strong men - taking their wealthy clients to the cockfighting and waiting in the pub for their next fare.  The pub’s website claims that this practice might be the origin of the expression “cheerio”, because customers wanting a sedan chair would shout, “Chair Ho”.  Actually, from what I can make out, “Cheerio”, meaning “good wishes”, “goodbye” or used as a toast, comes from joining “cheery” with “O!”.

There’s a belief, dating back to at least the early 19th century, that sedan chairs originated in the French town of Sedan.  In fact, chairs supported by poles, canopied or otherwise, have been used in various cultures in Europe and the Far East since ancient times.  They became popular in Britain from the late 17th century and the name is more likely to be derived from the Latin verb sedere, to sit.

Queen Anne's Gate, Old Queen Street, pub, Two Chairmen

All that aside, I did engineer a visit to the Two Chairman.  We came upon it via Whitehall and St James’s Park and found it to be an unpretentious, traditional, London pub, clearly frequented by a number of regulars; I liked it very much.  It is no quaint village hostelry, but then neither is it a brash, soulless, bar – though, unfortunately, it does have a TV.  Most importantly, it serves good beer; just to be sure, I had several pints of London Pride (which seemed to improve with each glass) and I’m advised that the Merlot was pretty decent too.  It being lunch time, we felt it only right to try the food – which was of the no-nonsense pub grub variety, tasty and plentiful.  We had fish and chips, steak and ale pie and chicken pie – I should add that there were three of us.  The service was cheerful and friendly and, despite the fact that the place was doing a brisk trade, everything arrived promptly.  I will be back.  One day, though, I will find out why it is that loos in the basements of older pubs in London all seem to exude a similar aroma to that of a river estuary at low tide…

Just to see what other people thought of the Two Chairmen, I had a quick look on Trip Advisor and saw one comment about it really only being suitable for adults.  I have to agree, but would need to ask what sort of masochist would want to take children to a grown-up pub anyway?  Family-friendly is all very well, but it’s a different market; and, personally, the last thing I want when I’m enjoying a jar and a bit of conversation is a load of screaming kids running amok.  I would have thought one of the selling points for the Two Chairman is that it is not a typical tourist pub.

So, well done Adrian.  Who says Google Plus doesn’t work?

Fuller's, London Pride, Chiswick brewery

If you’re desperate for more information, visit the Two Chairmen’s website.  The nearest tube station is St James’s Park – District (Green) and Circle (Yellow) lines, but Westminster – District, Circle and Jubilee (grey) lines – is pretty close too.


PS I’d like to confess that I have been paid a modest fee of £2,000 plus expenses to write this article and feature it on A Bit About Britain but, regrettably, that would be untrue.

20 comments:

  1. Oi! What's going on? Here I am, trudging through mud and puddles in the wilds of East Anglia just to bring you entertaining blogposts, when all you do is sit in a pub supping ale! Where's the justice in that?
    More seriously, I believe that sedan chairs were very necessary for fashionable people in London at that time as the streets were ankle-deep in...erm...."horses' doings".

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, are they open for breakfast? Get it? Cherrio...Cherrios, the breakfast cereal? Oh yeah, I've still got it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is a plce to remmeber. I know what you mean about Kids, I feel the old saying children should be seen & not heard is not applied as too offten you see them running round places amock whith the parents not caring what thay do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'd love to go pub sitting for a bit! i don't drink beer or ales, but a good wine would be fine. and good pub food...always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adrian IS a wise man. But I'm surprised you didn't stick to the iced tea. I mean really...this is a family blog, is it not? *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, hasn't happened to me yet either, even though I do a fair amount of unintended plugs for businesses. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm marking this place on my list of 'to try' the next time I'm over!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad that you had a good time and got to meet up with another blogger too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like an interesting place, if one can remember whether it's singular or plural. ;-) I'm thinking it must be relatively close to Westminster Arms, very near Churchill's War Rooms. Anyway, I think English pubs have tons of atmosphere as they are, and even more if dogs are present. I'm checking this one out next time, hopefully March of 2015. You always leave us wondering what 'divers temptations' you nearly fall into when left to your own devices. Home Office should be advised to keep a tight rein.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite a pleasant looking establishment. My late brother's late mother-in-law was English, and lamented how on this side of the Atlantic there was no such thing as a traditional English pub.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like a British version of "Cheers."

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute little pub it is. From your description of the streets, I think we spent time walking in the area last time we were 'over there'. Too bad we missed it - one of the best things in the UK is a pub lunch. Happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shoot! I really loved their explanation of "cheerio", though I think yours make more sense. I'm adding the pub to the never ending list of things I'd like to see in London if I ever go back. Thanks an awful lot for being so devoted to your readers that you tasted the food and beer for us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm still coming to terms with a haunted cockpit. That does look like a neat little boozer though :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL! I always learn a lot when I visit your blog. I have to remember to do it more often. Well, I think I know where we're going the next time we're in London. You deserve that 2,000.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds like a great pub, I will be sure to look out for it next time I am in the area and needing a bite to eat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pubs sound excellent to me. I live in a dry county. Dry as in no alcohol sales of any type...anywhere. If you want liquor/beer you must take a 45 minute drive to the next county over. A sad state of affairs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting info about the name! I rarely drink beer...but with a meal it sounded good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like a nice little pub. Shame about the tv - I avoid pubs with tvs, the sight of the 'sky sports shown here' badge makes me shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like their colorful sign!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - thanks for dropping into A Bit About Britain. New material is now being posted to www.bitaboutbritain.com and most of the material here will gradually be updated and moved over to that new site. Please drop in there, click on the blog page, and take a look round. TTFN - Mike.